And, it makes your kitchen smell like Christmas! Doesn’t it look beautiful?
I recently decided the only ingredients cranberry sauce really needs is cinnamon and sugar. Lots of recipes get extra fancy with orange peel, lemon juice, etc. But the best sauce I’ve ever had was this simple recipe that I made this past Thanksgiving. Sometimes simple is just better.
Happy Cooking and Happy Holidays!!
Makes approx. 4 1/2 cups
- 2 – 12oz. bags cranberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- about 8 cinnamon sticks
- Combine sugar and water in a large pot. Bring to a boil over med. heat and cook for about one minute or until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cranberries and cinnamon sticks.
- Turn heat to low and let simmer about 5-10 min. or until sauce thickens a bit, stirring occasionally. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Serve as is or mash a little with a potato masher. I like to serve it chunky, so I just stir it to break up the berries a little.