It’s a drizzly day here in Colorado…which makes for perfect soup weather!
When I have red peppers I need to use, I usually make a roasted red pepper sweet potato soup that is out of this world!
On this occasion I had no potatoes. So, I came up with a creamy tomato, red pepper version.
I just love the rich flavors of roasted red peppers mixed with the creamy tomatoes. Warm and hearty! Serve with a loaf of your favorite french bread.
This recipe was inspired by the wonderful Hint of Honey, one of my new favorite blogs.
Happy Cooking! ~ Gena
Creamy Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
- 3 red peppers **
- 1 onion **
- 1 carrot
- 1 T olive oil **
- 1 t. sea salt **
- fresh ground pepper **
- 2 oz tomato paste
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 32 oz. chicken broth
- 5 large basil leaves, chopped or torn **
- 1 1/2 cup cream or half and half
** Ingredients are used in other recipes from This Week’s Menu, starred to help in your planning.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Roughly chop vegetables. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 30 min, flipping a couple times during cooking.
- Meanwhile, add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes to a large soup pot. Whisk to combine.
- Add cooked veg. to a blender with 2 cups chicken broth. (may need to do this in two batches.) Pulse slowly to combine. Blend until desired texture. I like to keep ours a little chunky.
- Add pureed vegetables to tomato paste mixture and stir over med. heat.
- Add rest of chicken broth and stir well.
- Let simmer for 5-10 min. Add cream and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve hot with fresh ground pepper and warm bread.