My kids just love it when we get festive with their pancakes. We tend to turn our activity for the day into a whole theme. If we’re going to the zoo we start the day with giraffe and zebra pancakes. 🙂
If it’s close to Easter we make Easter bunnies! I use my favorite Banana Pancakes batter and then just shape the pancakes to fit the theme.
For the Easter bunny I used chocolate chips for the eyes and nose. I realized too late that gumdrops would have been better noses. I did get one picture with a cute little nose though!
The whiskers are made from cut-up bacon. I pre-cut the bacon, crosswise and lengthwise, so they wouldn’t be so wide. My kids thought they were mustaches! (Which gave me an idea for a whole different fun theme! Stay tuned!)
Easter Bunny Pancakes
- 1 recipe Banana Pancake Batter (if you don’t want to use bananas, you can use 1/4 cup coconut oil instead. Just warm the oil in microwave until it is in liquid state. Or use your preferred vegetable oil.)
- 1 package bacon, cut in half lengthwise and crosswise and cooked
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips, for eyes and noses
- gumdrops (this would make for cuter noses, if you have them!)
- butter and pure maple syrup for serving
- Heat a griddle or large nonstick pan over med. heat. Add a little butter to the pan and spread evenly with a spatula, to keep pancakes from sticking.
- Pour the batter into circles and then go back and add ears, starting at the top and steadily joining to the “head” of the bunny.
- After bubbles form and edges are dry, pancake is ready to flip. Loosen edges carefully all the way around the bunny. Then in one swift motion, scoop your spatula all the way under the bunny, lift and flip.
- Cook for another minute or until pancake is cooked through.
- Flip onto a plate and decorate with eyes, nose and whiskers. I always decorate the first one and then the kids decorate all the bunnies after that. They like having that first one show up in front of them as a little surprise, even though they know it’s coming!
- Serve with real butter and pure maple syrup!! Yummy!!