If it was up to Anna, we would have Homemade Tomato Basil Bisque for dinner every night. She just loves this creamy tomato soup!
I created this in an effort to duplicate one of my childhood favorites, Campbell’s tomato soup. This is my healthier, chunkier version. Hope you like it as much as I (and Anna!) do! See the photo gallery below for step by step photos of Anna making her favorite soup for us on this special edition of Kids in the Kitchen.
Happy cooking to chefs of all ages!
Homemade Tomato Basil Bisque
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 4 T flour
- approximately 5 cups milk
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (or a 6 oz can)
- 2 t. sea salt
- 2 1/2 t. onion powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 t. dried basil
- cream (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh basil, sliced for garnish
- Melt butter in a large pasta or soup pot over med. heat.
- Whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly pour in 2 cups milk, continuing to whisk until smooth again. Mixture will thicken.
- Add about 1/2 cup of tomato paste. Whisk until smooth.
- Add salt, onion powder and dried basil. Add diced tomatoes and stir.
- Add 2 more cups of milk and a splash of cream, if desired. You may need to add 1 or 2 cups more milk, depending on how thick you want your soup. Turn to low and let simmer for 10 min.
- Top with basil and fresh ground pepper.