This recipe was born out of the desire to have a second meal made from the previous night’s delicious fall flavors of butternut squash, apples and sausage. (Click here for my Butternut Squash, Apple and Sausage Turnovers recipe.)
My first thought was to bake the leftover veggies into a fall pot pie crumble (which I tried and it was yummy!) But I decided for the sake of my blog that the dinners were too similar to have two nights in a row. So…I decided to keep it super easy and turn the leftovers into a hearty, rich and amazing soup. It turned into a brand new recipe that we all loved! Butternut Squash, Apple and Sausage Bisque!
This soup is as easy and fast as it is delicious! I start with a little chicken broth then add the apples, squash and sausage mixture. Next, I use a potato masher to lightly puree the mixture before adding more broth and milk, resulting in a heavenly soup with a rich, creamy texture and all the best fall has to offer….buttery squash and sweet apples, mixed with hearty, flavorful sausage….YUM!!!
Butternut Squash, Apple and Sausage Bisque
- 6 cups leftover roasted veggies from last night’s turnovers (butternut squash, onion, apple and sausage) NOTE: If you did not make last night’s meal, hop on over to the recipe for ingredients and directions on how to roast the veggies and cook the sausage. Then you’re ready to toss all that goodness into this scrumptious soup!)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Add 1 cup of the broth into a large soup pot over med. heat.
- Add roasted squash, onion, apple and sausage mixture.
- Using a potato masher, mash the veggies into a smooth texture. Sausage will be broken up but still in larger chunks.
- Add remaining ingredients and heat until hot throughout.
- Serve with fresh ground black pepper.