Now that we have a middle-schooler, who leaves the house at 6:45 a.m., quick and healthy breakfasts are a must! That’s why I love this Breakfast Sundae….it couldn’t be easier and it is the perfect combo of healthy and delicious….oh, and it’s fun!!
I love adding cottage cheese to our meals because of its high protein and other health benefits. “Cottage cheese contains all the essential amino acids needed for it to qualify as a complete protein.” It is also a natural source of vitamin B-12, calcium and phosphorous. (Source: healthyeating.sfgate.com)
The Breakfast Sundae is layered with cottage cheese (mixed with a little pineapple juice for natural sweetness,) fruit and granola. Easy, healthy, tasty and packed with protein to start your day! Use a variety of fruits, berries and granolas on different mornings to add nutrients and balance in your diet.
Have a great day!
Makes one sundae
- 1 cup lowfat, small curd cottage cheese
- 3 oz fresh raspberries (approximately 16 berries)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite granola (we like Bear Naked -whatever granola you choose, be sure to read the label, as some granola’s have way too much sugar. I like to buy ours with less than 8 g per serving.)
- 1/3 cup canned pineapple, with a little juice reserved
- mint or basil for garnish, optional
- Add a little of the reserved pineapple juice with the cotttage cheese, if desired.
- Layer ingredients in a parfait glass. Begin by adding half of cottage cheese in the bottom of glass.
- Add half of rasberries on top of cottage cheese, approximately 8 berries.
- Then add the granola, pineapple, rest of the cottage cheese and the rest of the berries.