June is National Beet Month! This inspired me to make something yummy with roasted beets, one of my favorite veggies….so sweet and earthy! Did you know that beets boost your endurance? Combine that with the protein from the milk in this recipe and you have a healthy soup as well as a great pre-race meal. Learn more about the benefits of combining beets and dairy from the Western Dairy Association.
Beets add amazing color and flavor, while the potatoes give a creamy texture to this easy, gourmet soup. Don’t worry….even my picky eater said, “I love this soup!”
When I mentioned to my friends that my next dinner would be Roasted Beet and Potato Soup, I was surprised how many cringed. I don’t think most people realize how easy it is to cook with beets. AND, more importantly how tasty they are, not to mention the health benefits! Try this soup and let me know what you think, I’m hoping to inspire some new beet lovers! Enjoy!!
Roasted Beet and Potato Soup
- 3 whole beets
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 t. sea salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cream
- 4 cups chicken broth
- dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt for garnish, if desired
- Remove beet tops and peel. (put some paper towels on your counter to catch peelings, they may stain. Your hands will be red also, but it washes off with soap and water.) Chop beets and place in a large baking dish or cookie sheet with sides.
- Place onions and potatoes in same dish with beets. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Stir to coat.
- Bake at 400° F for 35 min., stirring occasionally (smaller pieces will cook faster.) Let cool for a few minutes.
- Add roasted veggies into a blender with about three cups of the chicken broth. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into soup pan. Add milk and cream and heat on med. low until heated through.
- Serve hot with a garnish of sour cream or greek yogurt if desired.