Fall is the perfect time for Maple everything!! Make these simple cupcakes and get festive with some fun leaf toppers.
Have I mentioned how much I LOVE pure maple syrup? I could drink it from the bottle with a straw!! So, naturally, these Maple Frosted Cupcakes are my favorite dessert!
The cupcakes are a simple vanilla, perfect for whatever flavor frosting is your favorite, but I highly recommend my Maple Frosting! I just combine creamy butter with pure maple syrup and powdered sugar. Easy and delectable!
Happy Baking! ~ Gena
Maple Frosted Cupcakes
Makes 20 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 t vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick), softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 T milk or cream
- 3 T pure maple syrup
Maple Leaf Toppers:
- 2 cups white chocolate chips (I like the Ghiradelli brand, has no hydrogenated oil!)
- yellow and orange food coloring
- several maple leaves (or any pretty leaves), washed gently
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Butter muffin tin(s) or use paper liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl fixed with the paddle attachment, beat together butter and sugar on med. to high speed until creamy, about 1 min. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, on low speed until combined, about 1 min.
- Add half of flour mixture to mixer and beat on low speed just until combined.
- Slowly add milk and mix on low just until combined.
- Repeat with remaining flour.
- Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 16-18 min. or until cupcakes spring back when touched. While baking, prepare leaf toppers (below.)
- Let cool on a wire rack before frosting.
For Maple Frosting
- In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter on med. high until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time, on slow speed.
- Add pure maple syrup and milk and beat on low for 1 min. Mix on med. high for another minute or until smooth.
For Maple Leaf Toppers
- Line a cookie sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- In a glass bowl, melt white chocolate chips for 1 minute. Stir until smooth.
- separate frosting into two bowls, adding a tiny amount of food coloring to make yellow and orange.
- Using the back side of a spoon, smooth onto veiny side of leaf. Use a little of each color on each leaf, blending to look natural. I use my finger if needed, to smooth chocolate into small corners of leaves.
- Place on the lined cookie sheet and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Very carefully peel the leaf off of the chocolate. Lay on top of cupcake immediately after frosting.