As you’re getting ready for holiday baking, I wanted to share one of my favorite cookie recipes, from Martha Stewart (slightly modified.) These are sure winners for a cookie exchange or a great gift for a teacher or friend. Pure Christmas goodness!!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-5 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add butter, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract to a mixer and beat on medium-high until fluffy, about 3 minutes. On low, beat in egg until mixed, about 1 min. Add flour mixture and chocolate chips and beat on low just until combined.
- Using a spoon, place small balls of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until edges look done. Let cool on wire racks.
- For the glaze, stir together powdered sugar and enough cream to make a spreadable consistency. Feel free to add a little more peppermint extract into the glaze. Start with a very small amount. (You can always add more.)
- Spread a thin layer of glaze on top of each cookie and sprinkle with crushed candy canes.