Another one of my favorite meals! Chicken Pot Pie Crumble has all the goodness of down home cooking, but with a little shortcut. The crumble topping is made of the same ingredients as a crust, but quicker! And, it has that yummy “crumble” texture bringing out it’s flavors, like the topping on cobbler, only it’s buttery pie crust instead of sweet dessert topping. Mmmmm!!!!
This is also a very versatile dish, allowing you to add whatever veggies you desire. I like to stick with traditional pot pie vegetables, such as celery, peas and carrots. But every now and then I’ll throw in some broccoli or mushrooms, or any other veggie I may need to use up.
You could even skip the chicken if you have had too much lately. Just add more of the vegetables. Still so hearty and yummy! Recipe adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
Happy Cooking! ~ Gena
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3/4 t. sea salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- fresh dill
- 2 cups flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/8 t. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 5 T unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3/4 cup cream
- Preheat oven to 400 F and butter a 13 x 9 baking dish. Set aside.
- Bring chicken and broth to simmer in covered Dutch oven over medium heat (if you don’t have a dutch oven, just use a stock pot.) Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 8-12 minutes.
- Transfer cooked chicken to a large bowl.
- Pour broth through a fine mesh strainer into a liquid measuring cup and reserve. Do not wash dutch oven.
- For the topping, combine flour, baking powder, salt, pepper and cayenne in a large bowl. Add butter to dry ingredients and cut in using a pastry blender, fork or fingers, until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cream and stir until just combined. If mixture seems too doughy, add a little more flour until it gets crumbly. Set aside.
- For the filling, heat 1 T oil in previously used dutch oven or pot. Add onions, carrots, dill, salt and pepper. Saute until just soft, about 5 min.
- Meanwhile, shred chicken into smaller pieces. (You can use paddle attachment in a standing mixer or a fork to shred.)
- Add the cooked vegetables to the large bowl with chicken. Set aside.
- For the sauce, melt 4T butter over medium heat in the dutch oven. Whisk in 1/2 cup flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add 1 1/2 cups of reserved chicken broth and whisk until smooth. Add 1 cup milk. Continue whisking until sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir the chicken and vegetable mixture into the sauce.
- Pour mixture into 9 x 13 pan (Or if you have small oven safe dishes, you can use those, for individual pot pies.)
- Scatter crumble topping evenly over filling. Bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes, or until bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
Serve hot and Enjoy!