This is the chili I grew up eating. Every time my dad would make his famous pot of chili everybody would tell him that he should bottle it up and sell it. Well, he never did sell it but he sure makes a lot of people happy every time he makes it!
Thanks Dad, not just for teaching me to make the world’s best chili, but for sharing your love of cooking with me. I have so many great memories of you in the kitchen! Lots of love to my favorite chef!
Enjoy this perfect chili! Happy Cooking! ~ Gena
1 T olive oil
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 onion, diced
2 bell peppers, diced (red, green or yellow)
2 T chili powder
2 cans kidney beans
2- 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
up to 4 cups tomato juice (maybe less, depending on how thick or thin you like your chili)
shredded cheddar for garnishing
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over med. heat
- Add onion and peppers and cook until just getting tender, about 3-5 min.
- Add ground beef and cook through, continually stirring and breaking meat into small bits.
- Add chili powder and mix well. Notice the dark red color of the meat. The darker, the spicier. Feel free to add more chili powder if you like it with more heat.
- Add the beans, tomatoes and juice. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes.
Garnish with cheddar cheese and serve with cornbread! Enjoy my Dad’s Chili!!