I found this recipe from one of my favorite blogs, pinchofyum.com. I was so happy to find such a delicious substitute for the beloved campbell’s version that used to fill my pantry.
Now I opt for the taste and health benefits of making my own. Please try it, it doesn’t take much longer and it’s so much healthier. And remember it’s all about balance so if you need to grab the can tonight to save time, don’t feel bad, but next time give the homemade version a try!
Happy Cooking!~ Gena
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ t. onion powder
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ½ t. black pepper
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ t. dried parsley (optional)
- Bring chicken broth and 1/2 cup of milk to a simmer over med. heat in a large saucepan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together. Whisk in the remaining 1 cup milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Slowly pour the flour and milk mixture into the saucepan. Whisk over low heat until it thickens, about 2-3 min.
- Continue to whisk over low for about 5 more minutes or until smooth.
- As it cools, the mixture will continue to thicken.
- Keep heat on low, as it will get lumpy quick.