They are super versatile…you can make candy cane, cinnamon or any other flavor that would be yummy in cocoa….! Have fun!
I was inspired to make these by tokyoterrace.com
Makes about 24 stirs
3 T cocoa powder
3 candy canes
2 T cinnamon
2 ice cube trays
plastic bags and ribbon for packaging
- Remove plastic wrappers from candy canes and place into a sealed plastic bag. Using the back of a spoon, pound the candy canes into small pieces, trying not to overdo it. (The big chunks are pretty!) I put a dish towel over the top to keep the bag from getting holes in it. Evenly distribute crushed candy canes into bottoms of half of the ice cube trays.
- Fill the other half of ice cube trays with a little sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Melt chocolate chips in a large glass bowl in the microwave or over a double boiler. (about 1 1/2 minutes) Stir until smooth.
- Stir in cocoa powder until smooth.
- Place melted choc. in a large ziploc bag. Cut the corner off the bag and pipe into ice cube trays, filling to the top but not overflowing into the next cube.
- Tamp down chocolate by gently tapping tray on counter, making it smooth.
- Sprinkle a little of the candy canes or cinnamon on top if desired.
- Place candy sticks or skewers into the choc. and let set until hardened. (I let mine cool on the counter for a couple of hours and then put in the freezer for about 15 min.)
- Remove hot cocoa stirs by gently twisting tray, as you would to remove ice.
- Package in pretty plastic bags, tied with ribbon and directions.
- To make hot cocoa, heat a 6 oz mug of milk and add Hot Cocoa Stir. Swizzle around in milk until melted. Enjoy!!