Tonight we are having one of our favorite go-to meals during the week, Mexican Skillet.
Black beans and corn mix with homemade taco seasoning then get topped with cut up tortilla squares and shredded cheddar cheese, which melts on top for a tasty Taco Tuesday sensation!
It’s super easy, versatile and yummy! You can use ground beef or a combo of black/pinto beans. We are going with the beans tonight to balance out all the meat we tend to have on the weekends.
This is one of the easiest, yummiest dinners and can be made in a hurry!
Serve with avocados, salsa and sour cream on top.
Sometimes I add an onion for a little extra flavor, but it’s not necessary.
This has been one of our all-time favorites!
- 1 -15 can black beans, drained
- 1 -15 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 cup water
2 cups frozen corn
4 tortillas (we like Tortillas Fresca -uncooked tortillas that cook up in seconds. They taste fresh and have very few ingredients)
1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese **
1 avocado, sliced
- sour cream **
** Ingredients are used in other recipes from This Week’s Menu, starred to help in your planning.
- If using Tortillas Fresca (or other uncooked tortillas) cook over med. high heat (about 30 seconds each side, or until white on each side.)
- Stack tortillas on top of each other and cut into 1″ squares. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat both cans of beans and corn over med. heat. Add taco seasoning and water and stir until well combined. Let simmer for a few minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add tortilla squares evenly across the top of bean mixture in the pan (it helps to separate the squares before adding, otherwise they may stick together.)
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly on top and cover with a lid. Turn off heat and let cheese melt.
- Serve with sliced avocados, salsa and sour cream on top.