This lasagna is so easy and so amazing!! Thank you Laurie from simplyscratch.com
I modified the recipe slightly but I love her philosophy on good ingredients and cooking from scratch.
1 -28 ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes
1 -8 ounce can tomato sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
1 medium Yellow Onion, diced
4 large Garlic Cloves, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon Coarse Black Pepper
1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
3/4 pound Ground Chuck (optional)
1/4 pound Italian Sausage (optional)
8 whole Lasagna Noodles, broken into thirds
1 cup of Ricotta or cottage cheese
4 ounces Fresh Mozzarella, sliced thin
Fresh Basil Leaves, torn
Fresh parsley, chopped or torn
Shaved Parmesan, for sprinkling
- In a large 12 inch skillet, heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add in the diced onion.
- Cook until soft and translucent. Add in the minced garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add a little of the diced or crushed tomatoes to add some liquid in bottom of pan.
- Measure in the salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- If using meat, add in 3/4 pound of ground chuck, 1/4 pound of Italian sausage and cook, stirring occasionally until browned and fully cooked.
- Evenly layer the broken lasagna noodles on top of the tomato and onion or ground beef/sausage mixture and pour the tomato sauces over top. Bring to a simmer and then reduce to medium-low. Let the sauce bubble to cook the noodles. I push the noodles into the sauce as they soften so the sauce can work its way down into the pan.
- Once the noodles are al dente, give it a good stir and then drop spoonfuls of ricotta cheese (I used cottage cheese) onto the lasagna. Give it a stir to break up the ricotta but not lose it completely. Scatter torn pieces of the fresh mozzarella over top, cover with a lid and let the steam melt the cheese. About 5 minutes. Serve piping hot with freshly torn basil or parsley and shaved Parmesan. Enjoy!!