These yummy burgers are healthy and easy!
Cooked sweet potatoes are added to a food processor along with bread crumbs, white beans and some seasonings.
Then they are cooked in a skillet with olive oil, adding a nice outer crisp.
In addition to their crispy texture and wonderful flavors there are many health benefits to these burgers.
Sweet potatoes are loaded with vitamins A, B, C and D. They are full of iron, magnesium and potassium.
“Sweet potatoes are naturally sweet-tasting but their natural sugars are slowly released into the bloodstream, helping to ensure a balanced and regular source of energy, without the blood sugar spikes linked to fatigue and weight gain.” (Source: Care2.com)
Read more about the benefits of sweet potatoes at care2.com. This recipe was modified from WhatsGabyCooking.com.
One more quick note….a special thanks to my dear friend, Lindsay, who gave me the above beautiful wood tray. I love it and you will be seeing it many times in the near future! It was a recent bday gift, since she knows I’m always looking for pretty ways to display food for my blog. Thanks friend! Love you!!
Serves 6 (makes about 8 small patties)
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (or your favorite type,) torn into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 1/2 t. dried oregano
- 1/2 t. paprika
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 burger buns, sliced and lightly toasted
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Caramelized onions and red bell peppers
- whole grain mustard
- field greens
- spicy or alfalfa sprouts
- Wash sweet potato and poke several holes across the top with a fork. Microwave for about 6 min. or until fork tender. Split open with a knife and let cool for a few minutes.
- Squeeze insides of potato into bowl of a food processor.
- Add beans, bread, egg, cheese and all seasonings. Process until all ingredients are incorporated. Texture will be smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over med. heat.
- Drop potato mixture by large spoonfuls into the skillet. Flatten patties with back of a spatula (I used a paper towel to add a little olive oil to back of spatula, to prevent sticking.)
- Cook patties on each side for about 4 min. or until golden brown.
- Serve on a toasted bun with suggested toppings.